Friday, August 26, 2011

Living Through Laughter - Love to Lindsey

Admittedly it's been quite a long while since I've blogged and I have MUCH to update my 5 or so readers on,  but the updates will have to wait for another time.

Instead, I want to just make this quick post in order to express my love and appreciation for the beautiful example of those around me and to maybe help out in what little way I can.

If you know me at all then you know I LOVE London.  It is the most wonderful, magical place to me.  However, part of that magic would not be complete without the memories of my 41 other best friends and teachers from my London Study Abroad (Fall 2007). You helped make my first visit there a marvelous memory that is forever etched in my heart never to be forgotten. I may not always be the best at keeping in touch, but please know...I love all of you. You are all some of the most important people in my life. I always like to say that we were each hand picked for that study abroad. I don't know of any other group that meshed like we did...and still do.  Even though some of us may not talk all the time we still have that special bond...for life.

 
Outside Boggle Hole - London Girl's Shot

 


















London Boys (in Rome) on a FREEZING day (Not pictured...James)



















It broke my heart when I learned that one of our dear study abroaders, Lindsey, passed away yesterday.  She'd battled cancer before our study abroad and pulled through like a champion. She was such an example to me as she would talk about it. She was so young and had gone through so much and yet there she was living life to it's fullest with a smile on her face. Unfortunately, this time it seems as though her body could fight no longer.

Throughout her sickness I didn't see her or speak to her. In fact, I probably hadn't spoken to her in a couple years...time goes by so fast and sometimes you don't realize how long it's been. It didn't matter that I didn't speak to her though because even without speaking she remained a beautiful example to me of love and life.

I would stay updated on blogs about her or her facebook while she was sick and learned that she lived the last bit of her life by the motto: "Living Through Laughter."  I can't imagine. I can't imagine being sick like that and Living Through Laughter. And yet, that's exactly what she did and that's exactly how I want to continue to live the rest of my life as I wake up each day grateful for the opportunities ahead of me. Thank you Lindsey for that example - you and your example will never be forgotten and my prayers go out to you and your loved ones. 

So Lindsey...here's to your memory and Living Through Laughter with a few London memories:
 
Colesseum Rome 2007 (Brooke, Me, Lindsey, Kels, Preston, Greg)


Pre-performance of Love's Labour's Lost at Shakespeare's Globe Theater- Teen Vogue shot!
(Me, Brittany, Lindsey)

First and original Hard Rock Cafe - London.  I remember we were SO excited for American food
and rocked out ALL night long singing at the top of our lungs at the table.

Lindsey performing at the London Center for our Christmas Talent Show.
I feel like this was right before she went to the corner and bought something like 20
pashminas to take home...and wore them ALL on the airplane 'cause our suitcases were all
stuffed WAY too full.  Also before our white elephant gift exchange...Londoners you know
exactly what gift she donated...hint, hint...it invovled the Union Jack and  little Emma Barton
opened it - SUCH A FUNNY NIGHT.

Spanish Steps - Rome 2007



Getting our pics taken for our Oyster Subway cards. We couldn't smile for them
so they all looked like serial killer mug shots.  Here we are re-enacting them. We all
look REALLY cute, huh?



Globe Theater Again Non-Teen-Vogue shot.  Little did we know in just a few hours
we would be SO SICK of standing for the show that we would proceed to try to lay our heads
down on the stage while the performers were still performing right in front of us.




















Post Londoness at Lindsey's Dream Wedding - SO excited for her! (Me, Lindsey, Mary, and Rachel)



















Some of you reading this may know Lindsey, some may not, but regardless there is something we can ALL learn from her and that is to appreciate life, live each day to it's fullest, express gratitude for the ups and downs of life, and to continue Living Through Laughter as she did.

You can find out more about Lindsey's story and her courageous example. Take a couple minutes to read her story and you will know how remarkable of a fighter she really was by reading her story on this website:  http://livingthroughlaughter.com/lindsey/

Also, I know medical bills must be high and I'm sure they'd be grateful for any support they may receive. If you want to donate to help out her family please see this link:  http://livingthroughlaughter.com/donate/

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is so sweet, Katie. Thanks for sharing her story. You're an amazing woman!

thrift store addict said...

That was such a great tribute KY. Lindsey was an amazing person an I think all of us can say that she made us laugh in London. I will always remember Lindsey and the fight she gave for her life and happiness

Paige said...

Thanks for doing this Katie... time sure does fly and it is great to remember all the fun times we had, especially with Lindsey :)

Kellee Marie Cook said...

Such a great post! Seriously I was loving every picture and laughing at some. We had great times and Lindsey would really appreciate that you did this.

3 cheers to lindsey!

hip hip hooray!
hip hip hooray!
hip hip hooray!