When one of those teachers is a special man named, Mr. Ford, he deserves a special thanks. Unfortunately, he may not know any of this, but I found that what makes me happiest in life is remembering those around me and being grateful for them.
So, even if it is a little too late, a special thanks is in order to you Mr. Ford, for you...
- helped me to actually enjoy getting to school at 8 a.m. for your first period "study hall" even though I'd been up since 6 a.m. for an early morning Seminary class because you always greeted me with a smile and a listening ear for my next dramatic story.
- taught me that history, is in fact, NOT bunk. You taught me to LOVE history. Not just like history, but LOVE it. I learned to love history so much I would be convinced to take Mrs. Cooper's AP History classes in 11th and 12th grade.
- and your teachings I wanted to continue my passion for history and politics and studied for a History Minor in college.
- taught me to appreciate political satire and cartoons.
- taught me what a lexicon was and added several new words to my vocabulary every week...even if I didn't always want to learn them. I am grateful now.
- helped me memorize all the words to "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel (although you didn't know that) because they were framed on your wall and I would memorize them when I got distracted in class.
- comforted all of us in your class on September 11th when we sat in the room frightened, watching the planes hit the WTC towers.
- gave me a place to go to for lunch at times when I just needed to get away and chat when I needed to vent or escape.
- taught me how to be responsible by not going easy on me and teaching me that much was expected of me, but I was very capable of reaching those expectations.
- taught me to channel my inner creativity and laugh at myself...
Unfortunately, I learned that Mr. Ford passed away today. And so, I am feeling nostalgic for home, high school, and those who've helped me get to this point in my life.
He is a great man who taught so many, loved so many, and was greatly loved for his contagious smile and personality.
"The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower." Psalm 18:2