Monday, February 27, 2012

A Special Thanks for a Special Man.

When you are a "lifer" at the same school for 15 years, it stands to reason that as you grow older and reflect on those formative years you realize just how much the person you've become has been shaped by those very halls you walked, friends you made, and teachers who painstakingly took the efforts to teach you not only their subject matter, but also about love, life, service, and how to stop socializing ALL THE TIME so that you can accomplish your studies.

When one of those teachers is a special man named, Mr. Ford, he deserves a special thanks.  Unfortunately, he may not know any of this, but I found that what makes me happiest in life is remembering those around me and being grateful for them.

So, even if it is a little too late, a special thanks is in order to you Mr. Ford, for you...

  1. helped me to actually enjoy getting to school at 8 a.m. for your first period "study hall" even though I'd been up since 6 a.m. for an early morning Seminary class because you always greeted me with a smile and a listening ear for my next dramatic story.
  2. taught me that history, is in fact, NOT bunk. You taught me to LOVE history. Not just like history, but LOVE it. I learned to love history so much I would be convinced to take Mrs. Cooper's AP History classes in 11th and 12th grade.
  3. and your teachings I wanted to continue my passion for history and politics and studied for a History Minor in college.
  4. taught me to appreciate political satire and cartoons.
  5. taught me what a lexicon was and added several new words to my vocabulary every week...even if I didn't always want to learn them. I am grateful now.
  6. helped me memorize all the words to "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel (although you didn't know that) because they were framed on your wall and I would memorize them when I got distracted in class.
  7. comforted all of us in your class on September 11th when we sat in the room frightened, watching the planes hit the WTC towers.
  8. gave me a place to go to for lunch at times when I just needed to get away and chat when I needed to vent or escape.
  9. taught me how to be responsible by not going easy on me and teaching me that much was expected of me, but I was very capable of reaching those expectations.
  10. taught me to channel my inner creativity and laugh at myself...
(A preview, of a video we once did for one of his class assignment...)

Unfortunately,  I learned that Mr. Ford passed away today. And so, I am feeling nostalgic for home, high school, and those who've helped me get to this point in my life.

He is a great man who taught so many, loved so many, and was greatly loved for his contagious smile and personality.  


"The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower." Psalm 18:2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am currently a teacher at Trinity School and worked with John Ford here and at Midland High School. We watched our two daughters play club soccer together for a year. He was a great man and will be missed. Bless you for your comments.