Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Office

Ooook...so not everyday is an exciting day in the office. Sometimes you have to make your own excitment. Thus, we had a discussion in my office today about which characters we would be from "The Office."  BAD idea- asking your co-workers which Office character THEY think you are.

I mean...I'll be the first to admit that sitting in a cube all day isn't my ideal scenario.  I prefer to be interacting with people rather than a computer, however, I AM a hard worker- just keep that in mind before you are swayed by their bias.  Furthermore, why is it that the one time you make some SMALL mistake everyone in the office remembers it the rest of your tenure there?

So, what answer did I receive from my co-workers? "Michael Scott or Andy Bernard."

Not quite what I was looking for.  I mean sure, it's better than getting Phylis. 

Asking them to defend their reasoning for choosing those characters...this story comes up...my SMALL mistake I wish people in the office could just forget. It all started in Chicago...



We had just finished a week long conference and were all EXHAUSTED. We'd slept an average of 4 hours a night all week and had been working 20 hour days on limited sustenance. By the time the conference had ended, I was in crash mode and had only ONE goal- to make it to the airport in time to catch my plane.  At this point, the thought of actually sleeping on a plane sounded just as good as any California King bed would have. Needless to say, I was so tired I was in no way capable of making good decisions.

Before I go any further you should know that transportation to and from O'Hare was provided for us by the hotel and we had been picked up FROM the airport in a limo. It's not like I'm accustomed to normally riding in limo's or anything.  In fact, I'd prefer to just drive myself if given the option, but the hotel insisted on providing transportation.  Thus, it would be a valid assumption that a limo would be the same means of transportation BACK to O'Hare.

As we are waiting on the curb with our suitcases, the hotel manager informs us that our ride will be pulling up shortly.  Two seconds later a black limo rounds the corner in front of the hotel.  I grab my suitcase, walk up to the car and put my luggage in the trunk. The rest of my co-workers follow me and do the same. 


 As you see in the picture below, I immediately fall asleep.  In fact, I slept through most of the drive UNTIL I'm awakened by the driver asking if my name was Jenny. 

Jenny?! Who's Jenny?  Confused and tired I look out the window and realize we are on our way to Chicago Midway not O'Hare Airport.  And that's when I learned I'd gotten us into the WRONG limo. I thought about calling Jenny at 867-5309 but then I remembered it was just a number from a ridiculous 80's pop song...thus, out of luck and running out of time I had to politely convince the driver to turn around, take us to O'Hare and not back to the hotel so that we don't miss our flights.  Feeling a little foolish I'd gotten into the wrong limo I realized that IN MY DEFENSE I wasn't ENTIRELY to blame and that the driver should have asked me my name to confirm when he picked us up.

Like you have to do in these situations, I just laughed at myself and went on my merry way. Everyone at the office knew the story when I returned, but I didn't think much of it again...until today...when I learned that despite all my hard work that story would forever haunt me in the office AND earn me the office title of Michael/Andy.

In one final attempt to prove them wrong, I took the Office Character Personality Quiz.  After 20 grueling questions my results were in...split personality: Pam and Michael.  Upon seeing the results, they did say that this story was really the only thing that won me the title of Michael and that I really am a hard-worker like Pam. That's an answer I can live with.

But...I just want to state for the record that I WAS CORRECT about the limo....just wrong about which limo...

2 comments:

puretexan said...

ahhh katie reading this makes me miss you more.

Peter said...

I want a limo ride. Please arrange this immediately. Please and thank you