Sunday, November 14, 2010

What the Preak?

So...I know this story is a little back-dated for a post, but a friend reminded me of this story today and I figured it was the perfect start to writing about my adventures!

Most of my close friends and family know me as Katie, Kate the Great, Lady Katie, Younger, or KY (Yes, it's quite the classy nickname. I know you're jealous.  Just know I'm simply called that because of my initials...).  Some of my friends have even gotten creative with my "KY" nickname and now refer to me as Gel, Gelz or Jelzie.  So, if you're around me and happen to hear someone, most likely Britt Linde, call out, "Hey Gelz" don't be alarmed it's completely natural and just know she's referring to me.

Like I said, MOST people know me by one of those names, but to Ray Lewis I am probably only remembered/referred to as "that gullible girl who had NO clue who I was"...that's assuming he remembers me at all.

Now, if you're wondering who Ray Lewis is or why he would know who I am not to worry you are not alone...as you will soon find out as you continue reading.

Like all good stories I will start at the beginning on this one.  It's Saturday, May 15, 2010 and I had just received a text from my boss the night before telling me to drive up to Maryland on Saturday because she was able to get me a ticket to The Preakness (one of the Triple Crown Races).  I rode horses in my teens and loved going to the horse races when we'd visit Utah and Wyoming so, needless to say, I was ecstatic. Thus, having to get ready at the last minute I didn't have time to find a huge hat to wear- although I could have purchased one of the hats below at the races for $300...NO THANK YOU.



and so I was able to find this simple, understated piece in my accessories:

Yes, that is a small top hat on the side of my headband- like I said simple and understated. Oh, did I forget to mention I had this free caricature done while I was there? 

Well, I get to Pimlico field and grab a bite to eat in our tent before watching the first races. We are near the Under Armour tent...just remember that as a little foreshadowing.  The first races were fun to watch and I was loving all the live entertainment between the races, including The Zac Brown Band and a cooking demonstration by the Voltaggio Brothers from Top Chef (picture below):

And then...it happened.  Another one of those "KY Moments" as my friends often refer to them...I'm sitting there enjoying the Voltaggio Brothers and my own business when all of a sudden this rather large, black man comes and sits at my table.  I politely start making small talk with him when my eyes are suddenly drawn to this HUGE ring he has on his finger.

"Wow!  Your ring is HUGE.  What's it for?"  I ask.

"Oh, its just a Super Bowl Ring." The random stranger replies.

"Oh cool. For what team?"  I continue (don't worry...I'm still not catching on to the fact that he actually PLAYS for a football team.)

"The Baltimore Ravens." He nonchalantly replies.

"Fun...what do you do with the Ravens?"

"Umm...I work in the office..." Ok, the hesitation in his voice should have told me he was lying.

"Oh that's great.  I'm glad to hear they're giving those rings to anybody now."

And that's when it happened...I blurted out that sentence without thinking or meaning anything rude by it- it just sort of came out that way.  Obviously, he seemed a little taken aback by my comment but kindly gave me time to explain myself.  We talked about my family friend Wally Kleine who helped take the Redskins to the Super Bowl but couldn't play in the actual Super Bowl because he was on the injured list.  After the Redskins won all the teammates received rings...except those on the injured list.  That's what I meant by my comment. I was glad they were broadening their circle to be more inclusive.

Well, even after explaining myself the joke was still on me because at that moment a man in a suit approaches my new friend and hands him a drink. I can tell he's schmoozing him and that's when my gullability flies out the window.  This guy doesn't just work in the office.  People clearly know who he is and they're bringing him anything he wants.  I decide not to call him out on his whole "I work in the office" comment as my co-workers join me at the table. We chat for a while longer and then right before we walk off the stranger opposite me says, "By the way my name's Ray Lewis- What's yours?"

"Katie"

"Nice to meet you Katie."

By now my curiosity is high and I figure well, if he's a big deal I'll google his name and surely something will come up...I mean he IS wearing a Super Bowl ring...and that's when I learned just who Ray Lewis was- #52. Not just #52, but also Super Bowl XXXV MVP honors, Defensive Player of the Year.

Nice one...I just told a Super Bowl Defensive Player of the Year that I'm glad they give those rings out to just anybody...

Well, apparently there really IS a first time for everything...at least he may not remember me as a TOTAL gullible girl because he did say "Bye Katie" as I left Pimlico for the day.

6 comments:

ANJ said...

i fricken love you.

Caisa said...

oh.em.gee.
1. the fact that you started a blog-just made my day.
2. the fact that your first post is about how you met ray lewis-perfect.
3. i miss your face.

Nate said...

I'm shaking my head because you just boggle my mind sometimes miss younger. Boggle my mind.

Kellee Marie Cook said...

great story! sooo funny! and so happy you started a blog!

Carolyn said...

oh my gosh, this just MADE MY WEEK. Katie you're hilarious! And I'm sure a little bit of humility never hurt Mr. Ray Lewis. Maybe he even thought it was endearing. After all, isn't that a classic archetypal plot? (Like in Ella Enchanted?) Intelligent girl refuses to join the legion of adoring fans, and thus the superstar goes after her, 'cause she's the only one that's hard to get? I'm sure he was cracking up telling him friends that one later, too!

jenn said...

I happened upon your blog, by blogstalking/hopping and I read this and couldn't help but to comment.

you are NOT alone in the gullable world!

I have almost an identical story. Only difference is I was not at The Preakness, my story did not involve a superbowl ring, and I wasn't immediately nice to my new 'friendS'!

It me and my inifinite wisdom at the ripe old age of 16, NBA championship ringS from several players and deciding (before I knew who they were) that my new 'friends' needed to be told a thing or two about common sense.....

after my idiotic comments, questioning why they had such big rings and making a complete fool of myself and my friends, they later paid for our meal at Denny's at 3am!