Friday, April 1, 2011

Oh April Fools. I fall for you every time...

Let's look at the facts.

I'm Blonde.

I'm Gullible.

I am quick to trust what people tell me.

I am passionate about life which means I quickly jump into things.

All of these facts = ALWAYS falling for April Fool's jokes.


No April Fool's joke to date has been able to top April 1, 2002.

7 days as a 16 year old and I still didn't have my driver's license.  Most people are EXSTATIC to get their license.  Me, I could have cared less. I had friends that drove me around and I didn't have a car yet, so really it didn't matter.

There I was at school on April 1st (forgetting it was April 1st mind you) walking back from a class with all of my classmates when all of a sudden I catch a glimpse of my mom parked in front of the school in a HOT brand new black convertible Thunderbird. 




"Katie! Katie! Over Here!" She excitedly shouts. "Your dad and I wanted to surprise you!  Happy 16th Birthday! Come over and let me get a picture of you in the driver's seat of your new car."

I'd be lying if I said I walked slowly over to the car. No, I sprinted and practically jumped over the car door and into the driver's seat with all my friends watching.

My mom was all poised and ready. "Smile on the count of 3 say 'Happy Birthday" 1...2...3" *click*

"Ok, one more picture.  This time on the count of 3 say April Fool's 1...2..."

And that's when I realized. I'd fallen for it all over again.  If my life were a scoreboard at the moment it would read

April Fool's 16 points
KY 0 points

Turns out she had borrowed it from our hair dresser when she'd been at the salon an hour earlier and they had devised this great plan together.  Beauty Parlors are typically stereotyped as gossipy places, but I'd venture to say they are conniving places too.

I wish I'd learned my lesson, but each year it's the same old thing.  April Fool's always wins.  There was the year my brother told me one of the Backsteet Boys had died, or the year my teacher told me I got a C on my test and not the A I had studied so hard for, or this year when my mom said she bought us all tickets to Peru...Alas...the scoreboard now reads:

April Fool's 25 points
KY 0 points

One of these days I'll remember and no longer fall victim to the antics of this day. One of these days...

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Hahaha, I love your mom. And you.

Ben, Paige & William said...

This is classic! haha love you