Monday, May 23, 2011

#MyLifeIsAMusical

There is something about music that just speaks to me. It's always played a significant role in my life and always will.  I always have a song in my head, I love discovering recent songs and new artists, I'm constantly making playlists for friends, driving around with the windows down and music on full blast, going to live concerts, and I like to think most moments of my life have their own background music (#Mylifeisamusical).


As a child my dad used to tell me, "Katie, if you put all your classes and studies to music you would be a genius. Your ability to remember every song and artist is uncanny."  And yes, right now you are probably thinking to yourself "this comment totally reminds me of that scene in the Babysitter's Club movie from the early 90's where they make up a song about how the brain works so that she can pass her science class."  And even if you weren't thinking that here's the clip for your viewing pleasure...thank goodness for YouTube...




But seriously, he was probably right - I hear a song played once and more than likely I will know 95% of the words the next time I hear it played and will be singing along.

And then there was the time that music helped me get into college. Two of my college application essays began with song lyrics.

Essay #1 began with, and I quote "Popular artist, Eminem, once rapped 'They say music can alter moods and talk to you, but can it load a gun up for you and cock it too." Yeah, I'm not really sure how I thought that would help me get into college. I'm not sure college admissions people thinking HIGHLY of Eminem...but, somehow it worked! 

Essay #2 was based on the chorus of Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young" However, if I'm being entirely honest it wasn't until 10th grade or so that I learned it was actually a Billy Joel song. My 4th grade self was only familiar with the Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies version off of one of the many Punk-O-Rama Cd's I owned as a youngin'. And yes, it was during this SHORT phase of my life that I also wore JNCO jeans and a chain wallet. Don't deny you too didn't own one or both of these items at some point...everyone in the early 90's did and I was no exception. And no, there will be no pictures of me in either of these items...I'm not sure the world is/ever will be ready to see those pics.

However, the time of year I feel I appreciate music the most is...SUMMERTIME!!  Summertime means CONCERTS, CONCERTS, CONCERTS!!

This past weekend I knocked off two of my many summertime shows.

Saturday night was a country fest with Eric Church and Jason Aldean.  Best part of the concert - people watching. I never knew that handkerchiefs also doubled as shirts...apparently they do...and apparently I was the last one to know this.

Here are a couple pics from the lawn:



Sunday night was a wonderful evening with Sugarland and Matt Nathanson.  First of all, Jennifer Nettles vocals BLEW ME AWAY. And Matt Nathanson...well his voice can make anyone melt.  All in all a FANTASTIC night.  My current fave Sugarland song would have to be "Little Miss"  I think it adequately expresses how overwhelming life can get at times...and then it swoops in with a chorus full of hope.  You can check it out here:




Upcoming Summer Concerts:

NKOTBSB...Don't Judge.
Kenny Chesney featuring Zac Brown Band (potentially...still on the fence about this one)
Katy Perry
Tim McGraw
Brad Paisley w/ The Band Perry
Toby Keith
Rascal Flatts (Came part of a concert package...will most likely be selling it...not my all time fave)
and potentially more to add to the list
Garth Brooks in Vegas??? If I can convince anyone to go with me...Why are loyal Garth fans hard to find these days???

No comments: